- Use “in” with months of the year:
I was born in April.
She left for school in September.
Peter will fly to Texas in March.
- With seasons:
I like skiing in winter.
He enjoys playing tennis in Spring.
They take a vacation in summer.
- With countries:
He lives in Greece.
The company is located in Canada.
She went to school in Germany.
- With city or town names:
He has a house in New York.
I was born in Seattle.
He works in San Francisco.
- With times of the day –
I wake up early in the morning.
She goes to school in the afternoon.
Peter sometimes plays softball in the evening.
Use at with night:
The sleep at night.
He likes to go out at night.
- Use “on” with specific days of the week or year:
We’ll meet on Friday.
What do you do on New Year’s Day?
He played basketball on March 5th.
American English – “on the weekend OR on weekends”
- Use “at” with specific times of the day:
Let’s meet at 7 o’clock.
He has a meeting at 6.15.
She went to a party at night.
- Use “at” with specific places in a city:
We met at school.
Let’s meet him at the restaurant.
He works at a hospital.
British English – “at the weekend OR at weekends”
- Use “to” with verbs which show movement such as go and come.
He goes to school.
She returned to the store.
They are coming to the party tonight.
Fill in the Blanks Quiz
Fill in the gaps in this paragraph with the prepositions – in, on, at or to. After you finish, look at the answers below in bold.
- Janet was born _____ Rochester _____ December 22nd _____ 3 o’clock _____ the morning.
- Rochester is _____ the state of New York _____ the United States.
- Now, she goes _____ classes _____ the university.
- She usually arrives _____ the morning _____ 8 o’clock.
- _____ weekends, she likes driving _____ her friend’s house _____ Canada.
- Her friend lives _____ Toronto.
- She usually arrives _____ 9 _____ the evening and leaves _____ Sunday morning.
- _____ Saturday, they often meet friends _____ a restaurant.
- _____ night, they sometimes go _____ a disco.
- _____ summer, _____ July for example, they often go _____ the countryside.
- Janet was born in Rochester on December 22nd at 3 o’clock in the morning.
- Rochester is in the state of New York in the United States.
- Now, she goes to classes at the university.
- She usually arrives in the morning at 8 o’clock.
- On weekends, she likes driving to her friend’s house in Canada.
- Her friend lives in Toronto.
- She usually arrives at 9 in the evening and leaves on Sunday morning.
- On Saturday, they often meet friends at a restaurant.
- At night, they sometimes go to a disco.
- In summer, in July for example, they often go to the countryside.
Write some sentences about your life!